Saturday 18 October 2008

Four years and counting!

A little hard to believe that I left Sydney 4 years ago!

Unsurprisingly, a lot has happened ... I've been a lot of places, lived in a few homes, met a lot of people, had a couple of jobs and spent a lot of time wondering what I'm going to do next!

Best thing has been the freedom - the constant feeling that I could just uproot and go wherever I felt. Keeping that under control has been difficult from time to time, but I've tried to take the sensible route.

Hardest thing has been being away from friends and family.

I've been very lucky to have Mum over for at least a couple of months every year I've been here ... and even luckier that Dad has been able to come over too more often than not. The future is looking a little bleaker in the knowledge that I won't be able to see them nearly as regularly from now on.

I've really regretted not staying in touch with people as well as I should. While it is a two way street, I know I've been a little difficult to stay in touch with this past year.

Highlights ...
2004 - working in a factory in North-West England. A proper white Christmas.
2005 - LA generally. Driving down Highway on my one woman road-trip. Discovering Fioli. Joining C&P.
2006 - Learning to really travel.
2007 - Realising that my work was truly valued. Getting a self-created promotion!
2008 - Spending time with Mum & Dad in Northern England. Santorini - learning to love a summer holiday. Becoming a wedding expert!

Lowlights ...
2004 - you know, I can't think of any.
2005 - Leaving LA. Flathunting in London.
2006 - Realising that not everyone can stay in London forever.
2007 - Having to say no to a wedding invitation for the first time. Leaving Australia without knowing when I was likely to be back.
2008 - Losing Grandpa. Not being able to be with friends when they need me. Watching Hannah grow up on the other side of the world.

Favourite places ...
2004 - Didn't really venture out of St Helens!!
2005 - Santa Monica. Fioli. NYC.
2006 - Prague
2007 - Oslo
2008 - Santorini

Who knows what the future holds ... I'll just sit tight and wait for the time being to see what 2009 brings!

2 comments:

Libby said...

Hi Liz, good to hear from you. (too many spelling mistakes in the last comment so I deleted it!)

Erin said...

I believe it's four years! Too long!!

and you'll need to come back sometime for live updates anyway :)