Wednesday 2 December 2009

December!!

It's my favourite time of year!!

The weather starts getting freezing and I pull out my lovely coat. If we're lucky it doesn't rain day after day after day after day ... unlike this year!

All the Christmas lights go up and the world sparkles all around me ...

There are presents to buy for everyone ... and excuses to buy all those stupid gifts in the stores!! Today I bought a cola powered clock, a rubiks cube and an alarm clock that sounds like a rooster.

The presents aren't for everyone else! Apart from my first Christmas present which has yet to be revealed here in photographic form there's:
- My gift from Mum & Dad. I emailed ' I think I'd like this.' They replied, 'Buy it for yourself then.' So I bought it and wrapped it and put it in my suitcase to take with me to put under the tree.
- My new moo-ing alarm clock. No longer shall I be vulnerable to my temperamental phone alarm and my freak-ish ability to walk across a room to turn it off without waking.
- The Rubik's cube I bought myself last year. THIS Christmas I'm going to be brave enough to give it a go!
- A ridiculous amount of edible glitter. Who knew I needed edible glitter?! Not me ... until I was sent a link to the webpage and offered free delivery! I sense a number of 'Kelly Green', 'Disco Red', 'White Diamond' and 'Peacock' sparkly cupcakes in my future!
- A box of wine (It was on special. It was a great deal. I'm going to drink it anyway whether I buy it by the case or not!)

Hmm ... now instead of feeling festive I'm feeling slightly selfish and materialistic ...and I sense I have a talent for using the silly season as an excuse to buy lots of things I normally wouldn't ... that's what credit cards are for, right?!

It's a little hard to worry about that as I look around at my decorations (yes, of course I have Christmas decorations in my room!) and think of the real, live Christmas Tree I bought today.

As the lamplight reflects of the Christmas Tree cookie cutters hanging on the wall (ok, so 'decorations' is a very broad term) I know there's only 15 sleeps until I freak out at the size of my pseudo-godson and get a good-and-proper hug from one of my best friends (before she wrenches my head out of the clouds and points my life in the right direction). There's only 18 sleeps until my beloved parentals come to collect me and take me back to where I left my heart - Highway 1. In 21 sleeps I'll be back with my family in Rancho Santa Fe, all gathered in the kitchen preparing food for the masses. And the 23rd sleep from now will be a restful and heavy one as I dream of snow and sleighbells.

And that's it - it's Christmas Day and there's mess and madness and over-indulgence and too much noise and too many people and it's wonderful.

Happy December everyone - I hope it makes you as happy as it makes me!

No comments: