Tuesday 22 September 2009

Flatmate for Sale

My flatmate is great. Really, really great. We manage to have similar tastes and opinions but just with a different take on the world.

Occasionally I find myself bemoaning the fact that I'm just going to go home on a week night and not catch up with friends ... but that's ok ... because I have a ready-made built-in friend in my own living room!

She eats what I cook and never fails to think it's amazing and thank me profusely. She doesn't mind watching the same episodes of CSI over and over again every night ... When she catches me clandestinely trying to watch the latest bit of trash that's sure to be cancelled after one season she doesn't laugh and roll her eyes but instead sits down to watch with me and then finds out when it's going to be repeated.

And last night ... when I attempted to take her out for her birthday (which none of her other presents have arrived for - Thanks Royal Mail!) and we were 5 people too late to get into the studio audience ... she took me out for a dinner. I fail to get her into a free event to celebrate her birthday, and she responds by insisting we go out for an expensive meal and then footing the bill!

It's not like she hasn't taken me out for dinner before. We have a sweet deal going where we share meals once or twice a week. It's just slightly unusual in that I cook and wash at home whenever the mood takes me, and she responds either by providing a bottle of wine or with her own form of cooking (ie. we go out or get takeaway).

And one of the best things about a non-cooking, sweet-toothed flatmate is that I can bake and bake to my heart's content and I don't have to worry about consumming all those calories single handedly, or having to constantly take them into work (where I am occaisionally reprimanded if we have bananas left at the end of the week and I don't make a cake).

So world - there's a fabulous, funny, intelligent, gorgeous, kite-surfing, shoe-loving, travelbug on the market. Not that I'm looking to get rid of her! It'd just be nice if someone else appreciated her as much as she deserves.

No comments: