Friday 18 September 2009

I love youse

Well I'm obviously quite thankful for my friends both near and far ... as I may have mentioned to a couple of them last night via text whilst ever so slightly intoxicated.

I love the fact that every drunken text I send makes reference to the fact that I've had a few ... as if the middle of the night "I love youse" wasn't enough of a clue. It's like I feel a need to point out that I'm not in my normal completely coherent state. Which would suggest that I don't tell my friends and family that I love them on a regular basis and that somehow I'm uncomfortable with the idea ... unless I'm feeling a little tipsy that is.

I'm thankful for my friends, my family and all the love in my life. I'm thankful that I don't often use the word 'love' willy-nilly. Sure, I've been known to claim I LOVE Borough Market Brownies. I may have even claimed that I'd commit crimes just to get my hands on them. But I think it's generally understood that my feelings towards those heaven-sent rectangles of goodness don't really effect me the same way the memory of first holding my baby cousin does.

I think about it every time I write the word 'love' to someone. I don't want it to be a throwaway word that I use on all acquaintances I think of favourably. I want to use it at the bottom of an email, text or letter the way it was meant - I send this to you with my love. I say it at the end of every phone conversation I have with my parents and it may sometimes seem hurried and without thought. That's only because I need to make sure I say it every time, so they remember how I feel every second of every day - I love you.

I may find it easy to type. It may just trip off the tongue as though it means nothing of much importance. Take it as you wish, it's not meant lightly.

No comments: